A large amount of household dust contains the body parts and feces of many different insects, including cockroaches, mayflies, beetles, and caddisflies. These particulates have been found to cause allergic responses; in high volumes, inhalation of insect fragments can become problematic enough to cause hospitalizations in certain individuals. Even for those who are not affected by insect fragment allergies, all individuals are still susceptible to hazardous diseases carried by these insects,  such as Salmonella. Another health concern is posed by cockroaches who release excrements that can pose a health hazard if consumed. To learn more about the effects of exposure to insect parts, please review a survey reported to the CDC here.

On average, 63% of homes contain fragments of cockroaches. Cockroaches are commonly found in urban neighborhoods, densely wooded areas, and commercial establishments, where 80-90% of homes are more likely to contain this allergen. These insects thrive in warm and humid environments, making them very common in the south. Bathrooms, kitchens, and basements are common hiding spots for these critters. Unfortunately, cockroaches can find ways to enter any home through small cracks and crevices.

Itchy skin


Stuffy, runny nose


Watery eyes

Itchy throat

Ear infections


The best way to combat insect allergy symptoms is to remove the sources that attract cockroaches and similar insects;

  • Make sure walls and doors are sealed to prevent entry
  • Clean food daily
  • Fix leaky pipes
  • Clean up spills
  • Check and replace air filters monthly
  • Take the trash out daily
  • Avoid piling clothes, trash, and clutter
  • Don’t leave food in the sink
  • Keep trash bins covered

If cockroach colonies have been exterminated from a home, fragments and excrements left by those colonies still pose a risk. In order to combat insect allergies fully, it requires a two-step process that includes both ongoing prevention and maintenance.

For diagnosis and a custom symptoms management plan, please consult with an Allergist or Immunologist.